Britannia Hospital is also a fully operational maternity hospital.
- We provide pre-natal counselling and advise. Here we review any medical and psychological problems that may affect your intended pregnancy and start treatment or other required intervention so that you achieve a successful pregnancy. Your past obstetric, gynaecological and medical history will determine what treatment you may require. This treatment may continue into early pregnancy.
- Your maternity care will be led and and managed by your Consultant Obstetrician. He will see you early in pregnancy and all through till delivery and several weeks after. You will be kept informed of your progress at all times.
- You will also be cared for by a trained Midwife all through your pregnancy.
- All your blood tests and ultrasound scans will be organised for you as and when due. You will also have a cardiotocographic trace at regular intervals, or at any time of concern by you or your medical team.
- All your pregnancy records will be held in special notes.
- We will make your antenatal classes as enjoyable as possible. You will be encouraged to attend antenatal classes to educate you on pregnancy, labour and the post delivery period.
- We intend that your delivery will be directed by your Obstetrician. We will ensure your pain relief is as effective as possible. Your safety and your baby’s condition are paramount and will determine the course of your labour and delivery. Again all decisions will be discussed with you at all times. You may have one named close relative or friend at all times subject to the procedures being undertaken and the safety of all concerned.
- After delivery a specialist Paediatrician will examine your baby to ensure all is well. You and your baby will be discharged when you are ready and we will arrange for home visiting by the midwife or health visitor if you so desire.